1921 – 1924 Theo Garvé studies with Prof. Rudolf Koch and Prof. Richard Throll at the School of Arts and Crafts (“Kunstgewerbeschule”) in Offenbach.
1924 – 1925 Garvé moves to the Frankfurt College of Arts and Crafts to study with Prof. Vinzenz Cissarz.
1926 – 1930 Garvé is a student of Max Beckmann at the Städelschule.
He participates in numerous exhibitions: at the Frankfurt Kunstschule, the Galerie Prestel and “Das Junge Frankfurt” (“Young Frankfurt”). This enables him to become financially independent.
1933 he joins the committee of the Deutscher Künstlerbund (“Association of German Artists”), remaining a member until it is dissolved by the National Socialists. Like all Beckmann students, he experiences difficulties on account of the political situation. He chooses the path of “inner emigration”.
1934 – 1939 Garvé withdraws to Keitum on the island of Sylt.
He finds a refuge with the art dealer and painter Hanna Bekker vom Rath in her famous “Blue House” in Hofheim am Taunus.
1939 Garvé once again attends the Städelschule, this time as a member of Prof. Delavilla’s class in free graphic art.
1941 visits Max Beckmann in Amsterdam, who urges him to make his work known to future generations.
1941 Garvé is conscripted into the armed forces.
1945 after the war, Garvé is tasked with building up the Städelschule again.
In the years immediately after war, Garvé is commissioned to paint many portraits. His favourite topics are architectural studies, landscapes and circus artistes at work.